Monday, November 23, 2009

Epiphany

For years, I've wondered about the notion of "only the good die young". In my life, I've known amazingly good people who have died too young. (One of whom, I'll be remembering very soon on December 15.)

Why is it that the "bad" outlast the good? And how do we know if there is a hell?

I think I figured it out.

The "good" die young to leave the "bad" behind. And hell is having to live out life without their presence. Hell isn't fire and brimstone and demons and pointy tails. It's the constant questions of "why them and not me?" It's "what's wrong with me, that they never stay?" "If I'm so great, so amazing, so strong, why am I always the one left behind? What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?"

The fact that those answers are never given is hell. You will die never having those answers.

That's the definition of hell.

Who knew that one of my favorite blonde jokes would, indeed, be my greatest undoing...

"How do you keep a blonde in suspense?"

No comments:

Post a Comment